Saturday, October 10, 2009

York, Day 3, Part 1

Now that we've moved on to Day Three, here are some pictures from the boat tour we took on the River Foss (not to be mistaken with the River Ouse, pronounced "ooze"):



(Isn't it so pretty and serene?)





But the real event of the day was going to Betty's. You know you've been dying to hear about Betty's since yesterday when I whetted your appetite, so to speak, with the picture from Little Betty's...Alright, now that I have fortified myself with a bowl of cereal, I am prepared to tell you the wonders of Betty's.

The glass-walled building occupies a street corner of York, offering diners the opportunity to stare out at their less fortunate counterparts in the cold streets, while sitting in warm comfort in a large, airy and brightly lit room. The staff - all female (sorry guys, you just don't have the right qualities to work in a place like this), wear long-sleeved, high necked lace blouses and long blue skirts, and, naturally, they all have a proper English accent and a quiet manner.

The menu is a marvel to behold: tea sandwiches, tea cakes, entrees, assorted hot (and cold) beverages (coming from the Steeping Room, the tea selection was limited, but their pitch is more towards the bakery than the tea room), and the obligatory Autumn Special Menu (which, consequentially, my entire meal came off of. Oh how I love the fall!).

I started the meal with mulled cider - apple sweet and heavily spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon and so much citrus giving it a pleasing bite it too the entire meal to drink. It came served steaming in a frosted glass (not cold frosted, translucent frosted). There is is, on the right upper corner of the picture.



Ah, but what is the centerpiece of that marvelous photo, you might ask. Why, that, I would respond, was my lunch and the finest dish I've eaten since arriving. Lamb and Rosemary Pie. Piled under a delicate, crispy puff pasty top, the succulent lamb just lay begging to be eaten, so tender it nearly fell apart if you so much as looked at it. Served with onions cooked to perfection (not overdone, but not crispy), potatoes and carrots, and all soused in a fine rosemary gravy.

And then, there were the obligatory tea sandwiches (which, if you remember well, were also featured yesterday compliments of T):


And the third dish to adorn the table was this delicious potato pancake, topped with mushroom sauteed in a white wine cream sauce:



Alas, I did not take pictures of our dessert, for my wits were overcome by the delights of the lamb, but I will do my best to describe it to you:

For T, there was Betty's Sunday, a delicious dish of dairy made with organic vanilla ice cream, crushed meringue, crushed raspberries, strawberries and blackberries and topped with fresh whipped cream. I would highly recommend the crushed meringue in your next Sunday. It adds a soft and satisfying crunch to the dish.

For Ellen, a fresh fruit custard. Served in a delicate tart pastry filled to the brim with custard and topped with fresh berries.

For yours truly, the kill of the afternoon: Warm treacle tart served on a pond of piping hot toffee sauce with a scoop of organic vanilla ice cream.

Unbeatable.

1 comment:

  1. I am ready to come over and eat my way through Scotland with you! That lamb potpie looked delicious! and the potato pancake!!!!

    ReplyDelete